|Orvieto Online (www.orvietoonline.com)|
Orvieto Art and religion -
The Cappella Nuova or San Brizio Chapel
The ï¿½figurative opulenceï¿½ (J.Riess) of the Cappella Nuova is one of the best known masterpieces of Renaissance Italian art. The chapel was built between 1406 and 1425 over the 14th century structure that supported the transept and opens onto the southern part of the cross nave, formerly occupied by the sacristy and the semi-circular Monaldeschi chapel, symmetrically aligned with the SS Corporale chapel. Beato Angelico and Luca Signorelli worked on the decorations of the entire chapel.