Orvieto Lake of Corbara &
Oasi WWF di Alviano -
Civitella del Lago
Perched on one of the highest points around Lake Corbara, Civitella del Lago stands at 470 metres above sea level. Its exposed position to the four winds has earned it the nickname of windy town among its inhabitants.
But this town’s ventilated position makes it a favourite holiday destination during the summer months for those seeking to escape the stifling heat of the city.
Placed exactly half way between Orvieto and Todi, Civitella del Lago commands a dominant position over Lake Corbara, offering stunning views over the lake from its ancient fortifications and from Piazza del Belvedere.
On fine days it is possible to see Orvieto, the Alviano nature reserve, Montefiascone and even Monte Amiata.
As well as for its climate, Civitella del Lago is also known for a number of events that run throughout the year:
- the OVOPINTO painted egg competition at Easter.
- the Amici della Guzzi national motorbike meet.
- two of Italy’s finest restaurants.... Vissani and Trippini.
Visitors coming to Civitella del Lago should include a tour of the surrounding sights:
- the Roman archaeological site at Scoppieto
- the castle of Salviano
- the Umbro-Etruscan burial grounds and the ruins of Copio at Montecchio,
- the charming village of Cerreto.
Thos travelling along the road from Orvieto to Todi will be able to see the following points of interest:
- the Pasquarella sanctuary
- the charming villages of Acqualoreto, Collelungo, Morre and Morruzze, rich in history and monuments.
The area around Lake Corbara includes:
- the castle of Corbara,
- the Benedictine abbey of San Gemini di Massa,
- the Pantanelli Franciscan convent
- the Forello gorge.
Have a nice stay!